Sic Semper Tyrannis

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." "In God we trust." The old words from our nation's founders still ring true today. This blog tries to capture why and how.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Reading List



January 7, 2014

In the marvelous musical Fiddler on the Roof, the hero Tevye sings his wistful dream, "If I Were a Rich Man." In words penned by Sheldon Harnick and through a melody from Jerry Bock, this hardworking and devoted husband and father says he would "find the time that I lack to sit in the synagogue and pray, and maybe have a seat by the Eastern Wall. And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men seven hours every day. That would be the sweetest gift of all. Sigh." He longs to be called “Reb Tevye” in recognition of his longed-for learning.

I know how he feels! I often wish I had more time to read and discuss holy books. Being devout in my own faith (Catholic, and thus very close to Tevye’s tradition) I’ve been a daily reader of the Bible and various short meditations, including lives of saints, but for longer works? I never had the time time. Besides, I didn’t want to get TOO good.

But the good Lord has a way of leading us where we need to go.  His goodness appeals to us and we move toward it... 

Three years ago, faced with a personal dilemma, and in need of interior change, I started on a serious reading journey. The dilemma resolved but the reading has continued. This very short blog cannot do justice to those I have read but here is my reading list:

First I read every book I could find about Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (Mother Teresa)—Come Be My Light, Mother Teresa’s Secret Fire, A Simple Path, Where There Is Love, There is God. These wonderful books, by quoting her writings and by describing her nature, brought her to me (and perhaps in the process she did look upon me from heaven as well), and from experience, I gained a desire to be holy.

Next I read the autobiography of Ste. Therese des Lisieux, who even as a cloistered nun had many dreams before her death at a young age yet she discovered: “my vocation is love.” She inspired me to try to live holiness not just in great deeds but in little ways.

 My journey then took me to the collected works of St. Teresa of Avila. Although she was writing in the 16th century her writings (which address a number of current events as well as the interior life) have a very modern feeling—even more than her namesakes in more modern times. She made me realize that God is working all around us even when we can’t see Him clearly.  

Then I began reading the works of Pope (now Emeritus) Benedict XVI, and kept reading his books even as he retired from the papacy, to be replaced by the beloved Pope Francis. The Jesus trilogy, the encyclicals, the apostolic exhortations, reflections on the Apotles…it’s been an adventure that continues now. (Until I have read every word I am not going to stop!)  When reading his writings, I feel that I am consuming the very Words of Love and Truth. In the Bible there is a beautiful passage that says when Jesus came back at first his disciples did not recognize him but then their eyes opened, in the breaking of the bread. This is a clear reference to Holy Eucharist but as Pope Benedict says of the Mass in The Sacrament of Charity, the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist are not part one and part two but inseparably combined.

Boi boi boi..Have I “posed problems that would cross a rabbi’s eyes?” in Harnick’s adorable words. So be it! Thanks for reading. Please find your own holy books and stay on the path. We will all meet at the “Eastern Wall” some day to discuss.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to type "Apostles" but cannot access this text to make the correction. Some funny script is running. Forgive me dear readers (all two of you :)

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home