Sic Semper Tyrannis

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." "In God we trust." The old words from our nation's founders still ring true today. This blog tries to capture why and how.

Monday, March 27, 2006

How Caring About Soldiers Helps Our Own Characters

In October 2005, I woke up in the middle of the night with the starting rhythms, notes and words of a song about soldiers. "We know that you enlisted, when you didn't have to go..." daDEEdaDEEdaDEEda,dadaDEEdaDEEdada..I followed the inspiration all the way through, and have produced a two CDs featuring the song, called "We Thank You." And no, the purpose of this blog is not to promote my song and ps my brilliant career. There are many great songs for soldiers out there; mine is only one of them--a few notes in a larger symphony. I honestly doubt I will even make up my expenses to give meaning to my promise to donate all my profits to veterans causes. The real benefit is this: writing the song changed my life for the better by making me think more about the sacrifice our soldiers make for us, and making me meditate on the character it takes to volunteer to serve, and then to fight for a noble cause. I find myself thinking about soldiers, praying for them, writing about them, and even trying to do things for them and GUESS WHAT!? I find that in my own life, I am exercising more integrity and courage as I go about each day. My word is my bond. Yes means yes and no means no. I'm on time. I lend a hand. So really it is not I who have given something to our veterans, it is they who have given to me. And they have given me not just their sacrifice of service for my safety and freedom; they have given me their personal example of integrity, courage, and a can-do spirit. So I thank you, brave soldiers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home